Jakarta, drinks and health supplements on the market many claimed to contain a prebiotic, probiotic or a combination of both. At a glance only differ in the prefix pre and pro, but it turns out many things that distinguish the two.
The fundamental difference is made up of microorganisms living probiotics. Meanwhile, a prebiotic fiber that become food for microorganisms.
Examples of such probiotic bacteria Bifidobacterium, Eubacterium, and Lactobacillus. While the example is inulin and prebiotic Fructooligosaccharides (prebiotic FOS).
Quoted from Prlog.org, Friday (3/12/2010), here are 5 things that distinguish the probiotic with a prebiotic.
1. Probiotics are living microorganisms are taken to maintain the balance of the digestive system in the intestine. Prebiotic fiber is a kind of special that could become food for microorganisms in the gut.
2. Probiotic drinks must be stored on storage conditions, temperature and a certain acidity level for the microorganisms in it does not die. Prebiotics do not require such treatment because it is not easily damaged.
3. Probiotics occasionally contains foreign microorganisms deliberately added to the intestines to help the digestive system. Prebiotics only feed on microorganisms that naturally existing in the gut.
4. Probiotics contained in the fermented food or beverages such as yogurt. Prebiotics taken from natural fibers contained in the 36,000 species of plants.
5. Probiotic microorganisms expel evil from the gut directly by way of dominating the seizure of the nutrients in place. Prebiotics expel acidity by creating certain conditions which are not preferred by microorganisms evil.
Despite its many differences, prebiotics and probiotics have in common, among others equally useful for maintaining healthy digestive system by maintaining a good balance of microorganisms in the gut. Benefits both have been proven in many scientific studies.
In addition, both are equally to be taken in sufficient quantities in order to produce the expected benefits. Other requirements are not allowed to contain various additives such as sugar, carbohydrates and other calorie sources.